A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

People: C

People    Firms

C.,

 

Draftsman in Breuer's office c. 1958 (see also Allen Cunningham).

 

 

 

 

 

Draftsman on St. John's Abbey and University Complex c. 1957.

 

 

 

Draftsman in Breuer's office c. 1967.

 

 

 

Draftsman on St. John's Church c. 1959.

 

 

Draftsman on St. John's c.1957.

Client. In 1952, he commissioned a weekend cottage in Lakeville, CT. Caesar was the brother of Leslie Stillman, one of Breuer's most enthusiastic clients.

American Ambassador, Paris.

 

Jewish Italian psychologist who requested help in immigrating to the US in 1939.

1898 - 1976

Sculptor and close friend of Breuer. In 1919, he received a degree in engineering from the Stevens Institute of Technology. A few years later, in 1923, he moved to New York and enrolled at the Art Students League. Calder's most famous contribution was the mobile, constructions of brightly colored abstract forms suspended from wires. Calder also created numerous monumental, abstract, outdoor sculptures. Calder gave...

Editorial Office, Fortune magazine.

Employee, Lexington Plumbing and Heating Co. Heating subcontractor for the Breuer House in Lincoln, MA.

Employee, Hotels Statler Co., Inc. The Eastern Air Lines Ticket Office designed by Breuer was located in the lobby of the Boston Statler Hotel.

Head, Headquarters Office, UNESCO.

Bryn Mawr College. Mrs. Cameron was instrumental in getting Breuer to design furniture for the college's new dormitory.

Argentinian architect and co-author of Planteamiento de un Problema Urbanistico.

Employee, Baitinger Electric Co., Inc. His firm supplied appliances for numerous projects, including the first Stillman House and the McComb House.

Treasurer, G. D. Campbell Building Co., Inc., contractor for the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College.

Campbell represented Dallas W. Hamilton, a painter of children's murals. She proposed a Hamilton murals as decoration for the Grosse Pointe Public Library.

Employee, G. D. Campbell Building Co., Inc., contractor for the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College. (Possibly the same as H. Wilbur Campbell)

Employee, Service Department, Farnsworth Television and Radio Corp. For the Frank House, Breuer created a custom cabinet for Farnsworth equipment.

Employee, Sales Department, Knoll Associates, Inc. Knoll was one of the earliest suppliers of modern furniture in the United States and provided furniture for many of Breuer's projects.

Employee, Donnelly Electric and Mfg. Co. They wanted to bid on the signage for the Almy, Bigelow and Washburn department store.

Employee, New England Reed Co. His company manufactured three chairs of Breuer's design for Breuer's house in Lincoln, MA.

Employee, Product Design and Development, Philco Corp. Philco manufactured the radio-phonograph-television combination unit designed by Breuer for the House in the Museum Garden.

Chief Engineer, Hope's Windows, Inc. His company supplied windows for many of Breuer's projects, including Breuer's own home in Lincoln, MA.

Administrator, Federal Works Agency. He informed Gropius and Breuer that they had been awarded the contract for Aluminum City Terrace, defense housing in New Kensington, PA.

Employee of John F. Bertuccio, distributor of St. Charles steel kitchen cabinets.

Chairwoman, Window Display Committee, Greater Boston Community Fund. The Greater Boston Community Fund and the United Service Organization (U.S.O.). organized fifty window displays for their 1942 campaign. Breuer designed the display for the Boston Dispensary, an organization founded in 1796 to provide medical care to the poor.

Employee, Country Life. Crofton Gane asked Carrington to suggest aluminum firms with whom Breuer might work.

Acting Curator, Department of Architecture, the Museum of Modern Art.

Carstensen, Inc., contractor for the Thompson House.

Employee, A. W. Hastings and Co., Inc. He sent Gropius and Breuer a suggested design for wood double hung windows for the Aluminum City Terrace defense housing project.

Librarian Editor, Royal Institute of British Architects. In 1935, he advised Breuer on applying for a work permit in Britain. After Breuer and Gropius had immigrated to the United States, Carter hoped to establish an exchange program between England and the new Bauhaus or Harvard. He also served as first Head Librarian of UNESCO after the war.

Manager, Harry Carvel Co., Inc.. His company served as heating subcontractor for the Potter House.

Heating subcontractor for the first Stillman House.

Employee, Electric Plant Sales Department, Kohler Co., Inc.

Casson was among those that Jack Pritchard approached when selling off the remaining pieces of Breuer-designed Isokon furniture in 1946.

Curator of the Musée d’Art Moderne. Cassou also served on the Committee of Artistic Advisors for the UNESCO headquarters.

Employee, the General Fireproofing Co. Castle contacted Breuer after he received first place in the International Competition of the Best Aluminum Chair, sponsored by the Aluminum Cie of France. General Fireproofing manufactured aluminum chairs, and Castle was interested in learning more about the competition.

Wife of Eduardo Catalano.

President, Town Hall Association of Norwalk, Inc. He invited Breuer to participate in a radio broadcast on the subject, "Does Modern Architecture Fit the New England Scene?" Breuer withdrew ten days before the scheduled broadcast.

Architectural Relations, Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. His company supplied the glass for many of Breuer's residential projects, including Breuer's first house in New Canaan, CT. and the Robinson House.

Employee, Grieco Bros. Inc. He relayed Vito Grieco's concerns and wished regarding the house he had commissioned in Andover, MA.

 

 

Publicity Director, the Museum of Modern Art.

Client. She and her husband, Henry, commissioned a cottage in Wayland, MA. from Gropius and Breuer.

Employee, W. C. Vaughan Co. His company supplied hardware for numerous projects, including the Hagerty House and the first Geller House.

Landscape architecture for Aluminum City Terrace, Gropius and Breuer's defense housing project in New Kensington, PA.

Secretary, Morell Plastering Co., Inc. They executed some of the plasterwork for the Weintraub Agency offices.

Employee, Central Office of Information.

Employee, Institut Français d'Architecture.

Executive, Stylclair. His company licensed the right to manufacture and sell Breuer's aluminum furniture in France.

Student at Harvard's Graduate School of Design. He built the model of Breuer's Plas-2-Point house.

Architectural photographer. He photographed the model of the De Bijenkorf Department Store Complex.

Associate Editor, Architectural Forum.

Graduate of Sarah Lawrence College, 1939. Wife of writer John Cheever.

Feature writer for Institutions magazine.

Co-owner, Cheney-Rice, Inc., contractors for the Hagerty House.

1900 - 1996

Architect and friend of Breuer. He practiced in partnership with Erich Mendelsohn from 1933 to 1936. Together they won the design competition for the Bexhill Pavilion in Sussex. He emigrated to the United States in 1940. He served as the Director of the Industrial Design Section of the Museum of Modern Art in the mid-1940s. He taught at Brooklyn College from 1942 to 1946 before...

Chickering Building Construction. His firm expressed interest in bidding on the Wolfson Trailer House.

New York Sales Division, National Carbon Co., Inc.

Employee, Edco Refrigerator Sales and Service.

Owner, Robert Chuckrow Construction Co., Inc. His company bid on the House in the Museum Garden but did not receive the contract.

Employee, National Carbon Co. Benjamin Spivak, an engineer who frequently worked with Breuer, consulted Church for advice about using Prestone as an anti-freeze solution in radiant heating systems.

Churchill-Fulmer Associates.

Employee, R. Corsi, contractor. Breuer invited his company to submit a bit on the Marshad House.

Chairwoman, Department of Art, Vassar College. In 1950, Claflin invited Breuer to give a lecture in conjunction with the Museum of Modern Art traveling exhibition of his work on campus.

Vice-President, the Thompson and Lichtner Co. His company conducted tests on cement for finishing plaster.

 

Client. She and her husband, Donald, commissioned a house in Orange, CT. from Breuer. She designed the interiors for the house.

Served as local architect for the Margolius House. He was to supervise the construction but the house in Palm Springs was never built.

Owner, Arundell Clarke, Ltd. His company supplied fabrics for a number of Breuer's projects, including the Hooper House, the Clark House and the Grosse Pointe Public Library.

Secretary to Florence Knoll, Knoll Associates, Inc.

Co-owner, Clarke and Tait, Inc., contractors and builders. They submitted a bid on the Hagerty House but did not receive the contract.

Vice-President, Century Federal Savings and Loan Association.

Employee, H. E. Fletcher Co. His company provided granite fireplace facing for the Thompson House and a granite table top and benches for the Scott House and the House in the Museum Garden.

Roofing subcontractor for the Chamberlain Cottage.

Secretary, The Architectural League of New York.

Interiors magazine. Clegg worked on an article on the Frank House.

Saybolt, Cleland and Alexander, Inc. His firm manufactured Breuer's furniture for Bryn Mawr College's new dormitory.

Professor and Acting Chairman of Faculty Committee, University of Minnesota.

1895 - 1958

Architect and designer. He was a founder of the MARS group (Modern Architectural Research Group), an organization that played a prominent role in supporting British modernism. For Jack and Molly Pritchard, Coates designed the Lawn Road Flats, in which both Gropius and Breuer lived during their sojourn in England. Coates also acted as a consultant to Isokon, designing popular bookshelves for the company. Coates was...

Jack Pritchard consulted Cobbs regarding a possible lecture by Breuer in Bradford as part of a lecture series to fund Breuer's trip to Europe in 1947.

Kenco Motion Picture Productions. His company proposed a film on the House in the Museum Garden.

The Brooklyn Museum of Art and C. Coggeshall Design. Coggeshall hoped to include samples of Breuer's furniture in a 1944 exhibit at the museum. Breuer was only able to contribute photographs as he did not possess samples.

Employee, Abbott, Lester and Co., air conditioning subcontractor.

Mrs. Cohen expressed interest in purchasing Breuer furniture after reading an article on plywood furniture in the New York Times magazine.

Employee, Homart Decorators. Homart supplied mattresses, cushions and curtains for a number of Breuer's projects, including the Pack House and the Wolfson Trailer House.

Coiner advised Herbert Bayer and Breuer in their efforts to establish a Laboratory for Plastic Design.

Argentinian architect and co-author of Planteamiento de un Problema Urbanistico.

Director of Women's Activities, The Travelers Broadcasting Service Corp. She invited him to be a guest on her radio program, Women's Radio Bazaar.

Vice-President, Aluminum Co. of America. Colby facilitated a meeting between Breuer and Mr. Brainard of the General Fireproofing Co. regarding the manufacture of Breuer's aluminum chairs.

Consultant on the Sarah Lawrence College, Art Center.

Cole Lumber Co. Cole expressed interest in manufacturing Breuer's Plas-2-Point house.

Employee, E. F. Hutton and Co.

Employee, the Kelley Island Lime and Transport Co.

Executive, Columbus Mobili Razionali in Tubi di Acciaio. His company licensed the rights to manufacture and sell Breuer's aluminum furniture in Italy.

 

Colwill Construction Co., contractors. His firm expressed interest in bidding on the first Hooper House.

Daughter of Vito Grieco, one of Breuer's clients.

Director de Plan Regulador, Bogotá, Colombia.

Director, Architectural Relations, Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. His company supplied the glass for many of Breuer's residential projects.

Plaster subcontractor. He worked on the Thompson House.

Owner, Walter J. Conlin Supply Co., Inc.

Employee, Scalamandré Silks. His company supplied fabric for the Starkey House.

Model builder. He built models of the first Gagarin House and the De Bijenkorf Department Store Complex.

1902 - 1957

Student at the Bauhaus, where he studied carpentry and architecture. In 1927, the Bauhaus commissioned Consemüller to document the building and life of the school in photographs.

Slade Professor of Fine Art, University of Cambridge.

Associate Curator, The Museum of Modern Art. She asked Breuer to write something for her book on street signs.

Delegate, Congress of International Housing and Town Planning.

Representative, Russell Peppler Co., distributor for Kane Manufacturing Corp. Kane manufactured screen doors for projects such as the Robinson House and the first Gagarin House.

Architect. Cooke was interested in working on the Aluminum City Terrace project but was unwilling to accept Breuer's terms.

Lawyer, Bristows, Cooke and Carpmael. Upon Breuer's decision to follow Gropius to the United States, Cooke drafted a contract between Breuer and Isokon regarding rights to furniture designs and fees.

Friend of Breuer and employee of the United States Housing Authority. She helped put Breuer in touch with those responsible for public buildings and projects.

Client. He commissioned a desk from Breuer. Breuer agreed to design the desk but could not complete the commission quickly enough so the project was abandoned.

Painting subcontractor for the Chamberlain Cottage.

Sales Manager, Plumbing Division, the Imperial Brass Mfg. Co.

Contractor for the Robinson House.

Office of the Housing Expediter. Breuer consulted Cooper for advice regarding his proposed duplex apartment complex for veterans.

President, Cooper Supply Co. They supplied concrete for the Grosse Pointe Public Library.

Employee, Wells of Bedford, Ltd. His company agreed to display furniture that Breuer had designed for Isokon.

Chairman of the Committee on Buildings and Grounds at Vassar College, which authorized the construction of the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory.

Corben acted as an agent for Paul Rand, handling all financial transactions for the Rand House.

Chairman, Building Industry Committee.

President, Charles F. Orvis Co. Corkran discussed a plastic treatment for rattan and bamboo furniture with Breuer.

Employee, Arts and Letters Division, UNESCO.

Building and mason contractor.

Corson wrote to Breuer inquiring about the necessity of double glazing.

Architecture student. He requested information on the cantilever construction for Breuer's first house in New Canaan, CT.

1902 - 1998

Brazilian architect and urban planner. Born to Brazilian parents in France, Costa moved to Brazil in 1917. He graduated from the Escola Nacional de Belas Artes with a degree in architecture five years later. His early work was in a neo-colonial style. In 1930, after a revolutionary government took power, Costas was appointed to reform his alma mater, introducing the principles of European modernism to...

Vice-President, Kent-Costikyan, Inc., supplier of carpets and rugs.

President, Kent-Costikyan, Inc., supplier of carpets and rugs.

Employee, John E. Sjöström Co. His company supplied furniture for the Grosse Pointe Public Library.

 

Order Department, Jofa, Inc. His company supplied corduroy fabric for the interiors of the first Gagarin House.

Lawyer. He advised the Board of Education of Grosse Pointe township and confirmed Breuer's appointment as a consultant-designer for the Grosse Pointe Public Library.

Counts - Hart Plumbing and Heating Co. His company served as the plumbing and heating subcontractor for the Breuer and Kepes Cottages.

Counts - Hart Plumbing and Heating Co. His company served as the plumbing and heating subcontractor for the Breuer and Kepes Cottages.

Vice-President, Cross and Brown Co., real estate.

General Chairwoman, Educational Division, the Greater Boston United War Fund. The Greater Boston Community Fund and the United Service Organization (U.S.O.). organized fifty window displays for their 1942 campaign. Breuer designed the display for the Boston Dispensary, an organization founded in 1796 to provide medical care to the poor.

Employee, Connecticut Radiant Glass Heat, Inc.

Walter A. Stanley Construction Co., Inc. His company was interested in bidding on the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College.

Secretary to David Howie. Howie served as agent for Helen Storrow, a wealthy supporter of modern art and architecture, who financed houses for four Harvard faculty members on Woods End Road in Lincoln, MA.

Employee, Kaufmann Department Stores, Inc.

Client. In 1953, Breuer produced preliminary designs for Crall's house in Gates Mills, OH. The project was abandoned by the client for unknown reasons.

Draftsman in Breuer's office c. 1954.

Employee of the Office for Emergency Management for which Gropius and Breuer designed the New Kensington Defense Housing Project.

Employee of Isokon Limited.

Draftsman in Breuer's office 1963-1971.

Employee, Cape Cod Oil Co.

Cronenweth Electric Co.

 

Employee of Isokon Ltd. (Possibly an assistant to Jack Pritchard).

Business Office Representative, New England Telephone and Telegraph Co.

Employee, Warren McArthur Corp.

Vice-President, William L. Crow Construction Co. His company expressed interest in bidding on the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory, but Vassar College preferred to use a local contractor.

Draftsman in Breuer's office c. 1954.

President, Almy, Bigelow & Washburn, Inc.

Photographer.

Employee in Breuer's office c. 1957-1960.

Owner, Frank B. Curry Co. Curry was the woodworking subcontractor who built the counter and benches for the Eastern Air Lines Ticket Office in the Boston Statler Hotel.

Employee, Tidewater Lumber and Supply Co. His company supplied the cypress siding for the House in the Museum Garden.

Eastern Sales Manager, the Mengel Co., Inc.

The Cushings bought Breuer's second house in New Canaan, CT.

Custance Brothers, Inc. Contractor who built Breuer's House in Lincoln, MA. and collaborated with Breuer on the Yankee Portables housing.

Employee, Contract Division, John Wanamaker. Her company supplied mattresses, cushions and curtains for the first Geller House.

President, New Canaan Library.

Partner, Cox, Langford, Stoddard and Cutler.

Treasurer, Sudbury Nurseries, Inc. His company supplied plantings for the landscaping of Breuer's House in Lincoln, MA.

1911 - 1994

Architect and professor at the University of California Berkeley from 1948 to 1978. Czaja received a master's degree in architecture from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1936. After graduation, he worked in the offices of Antonin Raymond and Eliel and Eero Saarinen. From 1942-43, Czaja was a member of the editorial board of Task magazine, an avant garde student publication with issues published in turn by various...