A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

People: H

People    Firms

Hänsel acted as intermediary between Breuer and Hungarian furniture manufacturers.

Breuer's secretary in the Paris office, which was established to facilitate work on the UNESCO headquarters complex.

Draftsman in Breuer's firm c. 1956.

 

 

Draftsman in Breuer's office c. 1955.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Draftsman in Breuer's office c. 1958.

 

Draftsman on St. John's Church c. 1959.

Hackett's Sign Shop. His firm supplied the display sign for the Eastern Air Lines Ticket Office in the Boston Statler Hotel.

Mrs. Hadley was involved with the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College. She suggested changes to the interior design of the living room.

Hagerty Co. In 1945, Breuer entered negotiations with Mr. Hagerty for the production of furniture designs.

Client. In 1937, he commissioned a house in Cohasset, MA. from Gropius and Breuer for his mother, Josephine.

Manager, Reconstruction Finance Corp. Breuer wanted to discuss the financing of the Almy, Bigelow and Washburn Department Store with Hagerty.

Client and mother of John Hagerty. She became the official client for the house originally commissioned by her son.

Employee, Dartington Hall, Ltd. Jack Pritchard approached Hague about supplying upholstery material for the Isokon Long Chair.

Worked for Artek-Pascoe, Inc., the furniture firm founded by Alvar Aalto and his wife, Aino. Hahl approached Breuer about acquiring the Finnish license for Breuer's aluminum and tubular steel chairs.

Hairon was involved in the preparations for the Deutsche Werkbund section of the 1930 Paris exhibition organized by the Salon des Artistes Décorateurs. He wrote to Gropius concerning a contact who could deal with questions from the French regarding the German installation.

Employee, Furniture Mercantile Service. His company supplied furniture for projects like the Pack and Clark houses.

Hall purchased a Breuer-designed dining table when Jack Pritchard sold off the remaining Isokon stock in late 1946.

Employee, Hope's Windows, Inc. His company supplied windows for many of Breuer's projects, including the Hagerty House and the Fischer House and Studio.

President, John Hall Heating - Plumbing - Supplies. Plumbing and heating contractor for the Thompson House.

Hall conducted acoustical tests of plasters to be used in the Aluminum City Terrace defense housing project.

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. In 1955, Halverson invited Breuer to join their Commission on Architecture. Breuer's work responsibilities prevented him from accepting the invitation.

Client and father of June Alworth (later Starkey). He commissioned a pool from Breuer in 1955 and a fishing camp on Dryberry Lake Island in Ontario, Canada in 1960.

Employee, Aluminum Laboratories Ltd. In 1946, Breuer approached Hamer in the hopes that his company might manufacture Breuer's aluminum furniture.

Director, Minot, Williams and Bangs, Inc. Hamlen inquired if one of Breuer's students would be interested in correlating maps of his property in order to select portions for possible sale.

Director of Public Relations for MBA (Marcel Breuer Associates), the firm that Breuer's partners continued to operate after Breuer retired.

Hamlin supplied building materials like sand for the Potter House.

Library Bureau Department, Remington Rand, Inc. His firm supplied furnishings, including file and card catalogues, for the Grosse Pointe Public Library.

 

Employee, Peifer Electric Co. His firm served as electrical construction engineers for the Lauck House.

Client. In 1950, he commissioned a house in Lloyd Harbor, Huntington, Long Island from Breuer.

Employee, Knoll Associates, Inc. Haraszty was a Hungarian immigrant (and friend of Breuer's) who became a fabric and upholstery designer for Knoll. She served as director of Knoll textiles from 1949 to 1955.

Manager in the Denver office of the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. His company supplied the glass for many of Breuer's residential projects, including the Smith House.

Employee, Nelson-Harkins Industries. His company submitted an estimate for the signage of the Grosse Pointe Public Library.

Client. In 1932, she and her husband, Paul, provided Breuer with his first house commission. The house in Wiesbaden was destroyed during the war and the couple asked Breuer to build them a second house in 1953. The couple remained close friends with Breuer throughout his career.

Client. Harnischmacher was the President of a company that manufactured shoe-cleaning products. In 1928-29, Breuer remodeled both Harnischmacher's office in Mainz and his apartment in Wiesbaden. The commission came through Gropius. Three years later, he and his wife, Marianne, provided Breuer with his first house commission. The house in Wiesbaden was destroyed during the war and the couple asked Breuer to build them a...

Employee, Hall and Co., Inc. His company drilled the well for the Herrick House.

Employee, The Architectural Review.

Harris drilled the well for the Rand House.

Employee, Concrete Plank Co., Inc.

1895 - 1981

Architect. He attended the École des Beaux-Arts and worked for a number of prominent New York firms such as McKim, Mead and White and Goodhue and Ferguson, though his most famous designs were modernist in style. Harrison worked on a number of important planning projects such as Rockefeller Center, the United Nations, Lincoln Center and the 1939 World’s Fair. He formed a partnership with Max Abramovitz...

Secretary, Plylite Products Co. Harryman proposed the use of his company's kitchen sink units for use in the Aluminum City Terrace defense housing project.

Vice-President, Hegeman-Harris Co. Hart expressed interest in submitting an estimate for the construction of the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College. The contract eventually went to G. D. Campbell Building Co., Inc.

Estimator, Paterson Construction Co. His company submitted an estimate for the Clark House, but the contract went to Emerson A. Daniels.

Employee, Paine Furniture Co. Paine supplied draperies for projects like the Breuer House in Lincoln, MA. and the first Geller House.

Treasurer, Geo. E. Mallinson Importing Co., Inc. His company supplied rush matting for projects like the first Stillman house.

Employee, New England Telephone and Telegraph Co.

Architecture critic and magazine editor. In the early 1950s, he served as Architectural Editor for Architectural Forum.

Employee, William H. Porter Co. His company was to be the contractor for the Almy, Bigelow and Washburn department store. Breuer produced preliminary plans for a new store and researched construction expenses, but the company decided to remodel their existing building.

1907 - 1977

Breuer's student in the furniture workshop at the Bauhaus. He also took architecture courses in the newly established Department of Architecture. From 1928 to 1931, he served as Breuer's draftsman and collaborator on a number of projects such as a competitions for housing in Spandau-Haselhorst, a hospital in Elberfeld, and a theater in Kharkov along with exhibitions for the 1930 Paris Werkbund exhibition and the 1931 Deutsche...

Assistant Manager, American Radiation and Standard Sanitary Corp. His company was the heating subcontractor for projects like the Ford and Breuer houses in Lincoln, MA.

Editor, The Architectural Review.

Employee, Georgian Bronze Co. His company supplied lighting fixtures for the first Geller House.

German publisher of books on art and architecture.

Editor-in-Chief of Architectural Record in the early 1950s. He published articles on the Abraham and Straus Store and the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College. He had previously headed the Department of Architecture at Yale University.

Haughwout advocated for Breuer to be the designer of the Tompkins County Memorial Hospital.

Director, J. H. Hawes, Ltd. His company manufactured metal chair frames and tables legs for Isokon.

Engineer and partner in the firm of Hayden, Harding and Buchanan. Hayden hoped to provide mechanical engineering services for the Aluminum City Terrace defense housing project, but the commission had already been awarded to a local firm, Hunting, Davis and Dunnells.

Draftsman who worked on the designs for the Hans Falkner Ski Lodge.

Director, Addison Gallery of American Art, Phillips Academy. Mr. Hayes inquired about the furnishings Breuer created for the dormitory at Bryn Mawr College.

Wiesenfeld and Hayward. His firm provided structural engineering services for the Grieco House.

 

1872 - 1959

Furniture designer and manufacturer. He ran Heal and Son, a furniture firm started by his grandfather John Harris Heal in 1810. His firm carried Isokon Furniture and in 1935, Breuer was invited to design furniture to be exhibition in the Mansard Gallery at the shop of Heal and Sons.

Employee, Heal and Sons. Heal and Sons carried Isokon Furniture and, in 1935, Breuer was invited to design furniture to be exhibition in the Mansard Gallery at their shop.

Employee, Heal and Sons. Heal and Sons carried Isokon Furniture and, in 1935, Breuer was invited to design furniture to be exhibition in the Mansard Gallery at their shop.

Owner of Elmer T. Hebert, Inc. His firm supplied hardware for projects such as the first Breuer House in New Canaan, the first Gagarin and Hooper Houses, the Grosse Pointe Public Library and the first Stillman House, among others.

Engineer with the Forest Service, who worked with Breuer on producing plywood furniture the Museum of Modern Art's Competition for Low-Cost Furniture.

Progress and Statistical Control Officer, Bureau of Yards and Docks, Department of the Navy.

Manufacturer of metal furniture based in Frankfurt am Main. Breuer asked him to supply photographs of his wares for the Deutsche Werkbund section of the 1930 Paris exhibition organized by the Salon des Artistes Décorateurs.

Mill agent for carpets, rugs and linoleum. He provided an estimate for carpets for Breuer's house in Lincoln, MA.

Hegeman-Harris Co., Inc., builders and engineers. His firm expressed interest in submitting an estimate for the construction of the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College. The contract eventually went to G. D. Campbell Building Co., Inc.

Hegeman-Harris Co., Inc., builders and engineers. His firm expressed interest in submitting an estimate for the construction of the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College. The contract eventually went to G. D. Campbell Building Co., Inc.

Employee, Heifetz Manufacturing Co. Her company supplied lamps for the Pack House and the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College.

Employee, Heifetz Manufacturing Co. His company supplied lamps for the Pack House and the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College.

Patent attorney. Heimann handled Breuer's French patent for tubular metal furniture.

Client. In the late 1920s, Heinersdorff asked Breuer to design the interiors of a house he had commissioned a house from Walter Wurzbach.

Employee, Boston Public Library and Chairman of the Boston District Jury for a nation-wide Army Arts Contest. Breuer was asked to serve as an honorary jury member for that same contest.

Secretary to the Director, Grosse Pointe Public Library.

Secretary, Faculty Club of Harvard University.

Employee, Greystone Press. He asked Breuer for material on small houses for publication in a book entitled "A Home of Your Own."

Friend of the Breuers from their summers in Wellfleet, MA.

Heating subcontractor for the Fischer House, Guest Cottage.

Contractor for the Smith House.

The Commission on Community Interrelations of the American Jewish Congress (CCI). Breuer renovated the offices of the Commission in the mid-1940s.

Manager, Michigan Inspection Bureau.

Supplier of raffia mats.

Herman-Sipe and Co., Inc., general contractors. Herman expressed interest in bidding on the construction of Black Mountain College. Gropius and Breuer's designs were never executed.

Architect and engineer. He requested images of Breuer's work for lectures at Harvard and McGill.

Client. Annette and her husband, Newton, commissioned a house from Breuer in Canajoharie, NY., which was completed in 1950.

Client. Herrick and his wife, Annette, commissioned a house from Breuer in Canajoharie, NY., which was completed in 1950.

Employee of Elmer T. Hebert, Inc., a supplier of hardware with whom Breuer frequently worked.

Employee, Jack Lenor Larsen, Inc. Her firm supplied fabric for the first Gagarin House.

Photographer. Hervé photographed the UNESCO headquarters complex during construction.

Boston Sales Office, American Radiator and Standard Sanitary Corp. His company supplied heating registers for projects like the Chamberlain Cottage and Breuer's own house in Lincoln, MA.

Friend of Leonard Currie, a former student of Breuer's at Harvard and an employee in the Gropius and Breuer office c. 1940.

Friend of Leonard Currie, a former student of Breuer's at Harvard and an employee in the Gropius and Breuer office c. 1940.

Holder of German patent on a tubular steel chair design.

Lawyer, Hicks and Sturges. His firm handled the sale of Breuer's first house in New Canaan, CT. to Russell Roberts.

Employee, Yorkmont Slate Co., Inc.

Higgins pproached Gropius about designing the interiors of his house. Gropius suggested Breuer would be a better choice. There is no record of the project going any further than initial meetings in the archives.

President, Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. His company supplied glass for many of Breuer's residential projects, including the Robinson House.

Publicity Counsel for the Proposed Wheaton College Art Center.

Employee of John Dinwiddie, a San Francisco architect. Hill requested photographs of the Dolderthal Apartments for an exhibition at the Museum of Art.

Architect and professional advisor to The Chicagoland Prize Homes Competition.

Employee, Marsh Tours. She helped organize Breuer's travel for a 1938 trip to Mexico.

Associate Editor at House and Garden in the 1940s.

Employee, Herman Miller Furniture Co. Herman Miller was one of the earliest suppliers of modern furniture in the United States and provided furniture and textile for many of Breuer's projects, including the Pack House and the first Hooper house.

Engineer, Midwest Jetcrete Corp. He consulted on the pool for Roy Halvorson.

Secretary to Breuer's client Gerold Lauck, Jr. at N. W. Ayer and Son, Inc.

Managing Editor, Fortune magazine. Breuer hoped that Fortune's parent company, Time, Inc. might fund an exhibition at the 1939 New York World's Fair. John Ely Burchard, Vice-President of Bemis Industries, also approached Hodgins on Breuer's behalf, requesting advice on marketing Breuer's furniture in the United States.

President, Hoe Corp. Hoe's company was the millwork subcontractor for the Ferry Cooperative Dormitory at Vassar College and the McComb House.

Employee, Century Electric Co. His company manufactured heating equipment used in the first Gagarin house.

Employee, Anchor Carpet and Linoleum Co., Inc. His company supplied carpets and ceiling coverings for projects like the Grosse Pointe Public Library and the Weintraub Agency offices.

Landscape architect. Hoffman offered his services on the Clark House.

Journalist. Hoffman was based in Buffalo but wanted to write about the House in the Museum Garden.

Product Design Department, Philco Corp. Philco manufactured the radio-phonograph-television combination unit designed by Breuer for the House in the Museum Garden.

Julius Hoffmann Verlag (publisher). Hoffmann asked Breuer to provide material for a book on office buildings. Breuer also hoped that Hoffmann might undertake a German translation of "Sun and Shadow."

Asbury Park Chamber of Commerce.

President, First National Bank and Trust Co. His bank provided Edward Fischer with a mortgage.

Vice-President of the Royal Institute of British Architects and architect to University of London Buildings.

Vice-President, Hope's Windows, Inc. His company supplied windows for many of Breuer's projects, including the Hagerty House.

Chief of Inspection Office, Division of Defense Housing (Pittsburgh Office), Federal Works Agency. His office oversaw the Aluminum City Terrace housing project in New Kensington, PA.

Plumbing Department, Crane Co. His company supplied plumbing fixtures for projects like the Grieco and Thompson houses.

Inspired by the House in the Museum Garden, Hollinshead and her husband hoped to visit the Gropius and Breuer designed houses on Woods End Road in Lincoln, MA.

The Studio, Ltd.

Photographer.

Employee, Superintendence Co.

Employee, Central Queens Electrical Supply Co. His company supplied lighting fixtures and bulbs for Breuer's second house in New Canaan, CT.

Draftsman for Breuer c. 1932-1934.

Architect. Honegger helped oversee the installation of the Deutsche Werkbund section of the 1930 Paris exhibition organized by the Salon des Artistes Décorateurs.

Secretary, Architectural Students' Society, Auckland University College. He asked Walter Gropius for his opinion on various components of architectural training.

Glasgow Art Gallery. Jack Pritchard consulted Dowling when trying to set up a lecture tour to help fund Breuer's trip to Europe in 1947.

Honga removed trees on the properties of the Breuer and Kepes cottages.

Vice-President, Thomas B. Bourne Associates, Inc., engineers and architects. His firm hired Breuer as a consultant for the design of the interior public spaces of Airport Terminal Buildings in Alaska.

Secretary to John Ely Burchard, Vice-President of Bemis Industries, Inc.

Treasurer, The Hopkins Co., Inc., roofing subcontractor who bid on the Scott job.

Associate Editor, Architectural Record.

Employee, General Paint Corp. He suggested the use of shatter-proof gas and water mains in the Aluminum City Terrace defense housing project.

Horton installed telephone service at Breuer's cottage in Wellfleet, MA.

Employee, The Albert A. Albrecht Co. The Albrecht Company was the contractor for the Grosse Pointe Public Library.

Secretary and Sales Manager, The Troy Sunshade Co. Houser's employer supplied metal furnishings for the Frank House.

Director, Contract and Marine Division, The General Fireproofing Co. Breuer hoped that General Fireproofing would manufacture his designs for aluminum furniture.

Director of the Pittsburgh Office of the Federal Works Agency. Hovde was instrumental in helping Gropius and Breuer get the commission for the Aluminum City Terrace defense housing project and worked closely with the architects during design and construction.

Director, The Hairlok Co. Ltd. His company manufactured rubberized hair pads used in the upholstery of the Isokon Long Chair.

Architect and author of a report on the results of sun control studies for the UNESCO Secretariat building.

Engineer, Whitman and Howard. Howard made recommendations regarding the placement of the water line for the Scott House.

Director of Halls, Bryn Mawr College. She oversaw the production and installation of Breuer's designs for dormitory furniture.

1886 - 1955

American architect. He studied architecture at Harvard University (1904-1907) and the École des Beaux-Arts (1908-1912), where he was admitted to the studio of Victor Laloux. After graduation, he worked for a number of Philadelphia firms including Furness and Evans and Mellor and Meigs. In 1929, Howe entered into partnership with William Lescaze and began work on their most well-known building, the Philadelphia Savings Fund Society (PSFS)...

Employee, E. W. Howell Co. Breuer invited Howell's company to submit a bid for the construction of the House in the Museum Garden, but the contract eventually went to the Murphy-Brinkworth Construction Corp.

Architect. Howes offered his model building services for the UNESCO Headquarters complex.

Lawyer for Mrs. Storrow, who provided funds for Gropius, Breuer, Walter Bogner, and James Ford to build houses on Woods End Road in Lincoln, MA. Howie handled the details of these donations for Mrs. Storrow.

Employee of the Museum of Modern Art. She worked on the House in the Museum Garden.

Representative of C. Tang of the West China Development Corp. Breuer met with Mr. Hu to discuss the manufacturer of his furniture in China.

Engineer and partner, Hubbard, Rickerd and Blakeley. His firm acted as consulting engineer for the Aluminum City Terrace defense housing project.

Advertising Manager, Detroit Steel Products Co. He asked Gropius and Breuer if they would supply a plan of small house to be used to advertise Fenestra windows.

Landscape architect and town planner. He offered his services on the Smith House.

Employee, Harry A. Hudgins Co., contractor for the first Hooper House.

Owner, Harry A. Hudgins Co., contractor for the first Hooper House.

1886 - 1968

Architect and educator. He attended Harvard from 1906 to 1909 but never completed his degree there, instead receiving a degree in architecture for the University of Michigan in 1912. He served as dean of the School of Architecture at Columbia University from 1935 to 1936 and was instrumental in directing the school away from the traditional Beaux-Arts curriculum towards modern ideas about design education. Hudnut moved...

Service Manager, The H. M. Tower Corp. His company supplied appliances for the second Breuer house in New Canaan, CT.

Huff built and published a plywood chair for children based on a modification of a Breuer design.

Director, Tube Products, Ltd. While Breuer was working in England, he approached Huggins about the possibility of his company manufacturing Breuer's furniture designs.

Employee, Wall Trends, Inc. Her company produced custom wall paper for the Weintraub Agency offices.

Employee, P. M. Hughes and Sons, Inc., general contractors. Hughes expressed interest in submitting estimates for the construction of the Englund and Marshad houses.

Employee, Eames Co. His company supplied kitchen equipment for projects like the Fischer House and Studio and the Hagerty House.

Secretary in Breuer's office ca. 1954-56.

 

Contractor. Hunt wanted to submit an estimate on the construction of the Wolfson Trailer House.

Advertising Department, Detroit Steel Products Co. His company used reproductions of a Gropius and Breuer house design in advertisements for Fenestra windows.

Hunter's Landscape Construction. Hunter constructed the driveway and installed electrical poles for the Chamberlain Cottage.

Engineer and partner, Hunting, Davis and Dunnells. His firm consulted on road and sewer construction for Aluminum City Terrace defense housing project.

Civil engineer. Huntington produced a topographical survey of George Robinson's property.

Breuer's secretary ca. 1946.

Director, Administrative Services, Board of Education, Grosse Pointe, Michigan. Husband oversaw the design and construction of the Grosse Point Public Library.

Sales Manager, Kurt Versen Co. His company supplied lighting fixtures for projects like Breuer's second house in New Canaan, CT.

May be same as Walther, may not

1921

Architecture critic. She received degrees from Hunter College and New York University. As an assistant curator in the Department of Architecture at the Museum of Modern Art, she included Breuer's first house in New Canaan in an exhibition of post-war houses. In 1963, she became the architecture critic for the New York Times, receiving a Pulitzer Prize in 1970. She admired Breuer's design for Hunter...

Architectural historian. She was a professor at the Institute of Fine Arts at New York University and has written a monograph entitled, "Marcel Breuer, Architect: The Career and the Buildings," published in 2001. Beginning in 1958, Hyman worked in Breuer's office as his assistant. She remained for two and half years, eventually leaving to attend graduate school in art history at NYU.