Mills House

155  of  374
Mills House

Sketch of Floor Plan

Correspondence   81  browse all »

Letter
Letter
Letter

Drawings   13  browse all »

Map Showing Property
Map Showing Property
Contour Map

In 1947, Edward and Julie Mills commissioned a house to be erected on the property next door to Breuer's first house in New Canaan, CT. The contractor, Irving Wood, built the two houses simultaneously in an attempt to reduce expenses. The wood-clad houses rested on a concrete foundation. As in many of the houses of this period, the bedrooms were at one end of the house while the living spaces were clustered at the other. The roof was extended beyond the walls of the entrance façade to create a sunshade of wooden slats. A low-stone wall and square paved terrace marked the entrance to the house. Breuer designed an addition in 1951 and cabinet work for the living room in 1954. The house is no longer standing.